Friday, July 31, 2009

Biking, Day 14: July 30, 2009

Day 14: Greybull, WY to Sheridan, WY
Distance: 97 miles
Route: Route 14E through the Big Horn Mountains
Lodging: Sundown Motel, $55

Today I started my ride around 8am. I had to schedule around a phone call I had at 10am about my fall externship. I knew I wouldn't have service in the mountains, so I found the last place to stop before hitting the Big Horns and decided to take the call there. The last stop was Dirty Annie's, 17 miles from my hotel in Greybull.
I got to Dirty Annie's at 9:15am and realized I had no cell service, go figure. I decided to kill some time by having a good, healthy breakfast. Also, I hadn't had coffee yet. Again, criminal.

I had coffee, a waffle, and a cinnamon roll (or frosting of a cinnamon roll - we all have our weaknesses). After I ordered, I realized I could have had some protein - something I'm having a hard time getting enough of on this ride. I instinctively order things that I can drench in syrup, which I should alter for the sake of my health. Anyway.

Around 9:50 I went outside to try to figure out how I was going to negotiate this call. Phone was still a no-go (and they were supposed to call me), so i called them on a pay phone and gave them that number to call me. Ten minutes later I realized the phone doesn't take incoming calls. I called them back and just sat on hold until they were ready for me.
I finished the call, tried to get mace inside Dirty Annie's to appease my mother, got some advil for what had been promised to me as a very difficult ride, and got scared even more by a girl who worked there and called me crazy.

I started the ride a little before 11am. I passed the sign that gave mileage to the peak (or close to): 31 miles and to my destination, Sheridan: 81 miles. About 3 miles in, the climb began. It was somewhat gradual, but steep enough that I had my bike on its lowest gear. I was pushing hard and barely surpassing 4-5MPH. I got into a rhythm and just pushed.
The switchbacks were intense. There was no letting up. There were maybe 2 flat periods the entire climb. I was sweating, drenched, but I just focused on getting up the mountain. I didn't want to stop, but my tire lost a lot of air, so I stopped once to fill it.
Finally, I turned a corner and saw an elevation sign. Typically that means you're at the top. Granite Pass - 9033 Ft. I started around 3000FT. Brutal. It was like 2 or 2:30. Three to 3.5 hours of uphill biking.
It was there that I realized it was FREEZING. Once i had stopped, my sweaty shirt felt really cold. I put on my jacket and started biking again. it was all downhill. I was kicking ass. But it was freezing and soon I couldn't feel my hands or my feet.

I stopped at a lake to have a snack, then kept going. THEN, there was construction on the road. I felt like this wasn't really fair. I worked SO HARD getting up and now i couldn't cruise the down part. Doesn't that seem unfair? I was pissed. The pavement would go out, I would ride, then hear a large vehicle behind me, unclip, and pull over. It was annoying. Finally, I hit the bottom. I was in Dayton, WY

I had a drink at a gas station and called my parents. I tried to decide if I could make it the 20 more miles to Sheridan. I felt emboldened by my diet coke rush, so I decided to go for it. I made a quick reservation at the cheapest motel i could find and took off.

I rode on route 14E and then it turned into I-90. I rode on I-90 for 12 miles. I guess people ride their bikes on the interstate out here, but I hate it. I did it, but I hate it. There's something unsettling about having a huge truck wiz past you.

Finally, I got to Sheridan. I pulled into my awesome motel and talked to the owner. He gave me some advice - like to check out Devil's Tower (may not logistically work). He asked me how old I was, I made him guess, he guessed 22-23. He is my new best friend.

I ordered a sandwich from Dominos (shockingly good toasted sandwiches). I may or may not have also ordered Cinna-sticks - a fantastic use of pizza dough, covered in cinnamon and sugar and served with a tub of icing.

Tomorrow, I go to Gillette via 14E, which takes you 30 miles out of the way in comparison to I-90. Again, seems unfair.

No comments:

Post a Comment