Sunday, July 26, 2009

Biking, Day 10: 7/26/2009

Day 10: Bozeman, MT to Pray, MT
Distance: 55 miles (should have been 45)
Route: Rte 86 to the back roads of MT to Trail Creek Road to Route 89 to Mill Creek to East River Dr
Lodging: Chico Hot Springs Resort and Day Spa, $49 in main lodge with shared bathroom, http://www.chicohotsprings.com/

I slept in until 7:15 today. i got my free breakfast - coffee, an incredibly large, incredibly soaked-in-syrup waffle, and some cereal. I was hungry, and I never eat breakfast. I went online to figure out where i wanted to end up - in Gardiner (90 miles), Livingston (30 miles), or somewhere in between. In my research, I discovered the Chico Hot Springs Resort and Day Spa. Smack dab in the middle of Livingston and Gardiner. I called, they had a single room for the bargain price of $49. I booked it. I took my time getting ready and digesting my mammoth waffle, got my directions and went on my way. I left around 10:15am.
I left my hotel and biked slowly. My body was really tired and I just wanted to take it easy, get to the spa, and chillax. The first 8 miles of the ride were beautiful. The back part of Bozeman where rich people come and build stunning vacation or retirement homes. I continued on the route that googlemaps gave me and the scenery couldn't have been better. it was hot, though, and hilly, so i took it easy.
After 16 miles or so, my road turned to dirt. But I looked at my directions and I was only supposed to be on it for 2 miles, so i forged on. As I went over a hill, three dogs appeared. They looked fierce. They had no discernible owner. They started after me. I rode and got away from them, but then I realized I was a bit lost. Or was I? I didn't know if I had taken the correct turn, but clearly I couldn't go back. I could see I-90 from where i was, so I wasn't too concerned, but I felt lost. Again.
I went up another dirt road and saw a paved road parallel to it through some brush. I backtracked and found the road that met up with the paved one. My directions said i was supposed to take Trail Creek Road for 17 miles. This road looked significant. According to the map, it was perpendicular to I-90, which seemed right. Also,on I-90 I saw a sign that said 'Trail Creek Road'. I hoped that I was on it.
I rode on this road for a few miles searching for any signage or indication that this was the correct road. Finally, after 3 miles, there was a sign that said Trail Creek Road. Fantastic! At least I was on the right road. 17 miles on this, then another road, then the hotel. About 25 miles left.
In another 2 miles, the road turned to gravel. Ok, seriously. This was a VERY well-developed road. Painted lines, decent traffic, even an exit off the highway. And now it was gravel. I walked my bike for a bit then flagged down a car. I asked the guy how long it was gravel and if this road met up with 89. It was gravel for the duration. it hit 89, but not for a while, he said. Indeed, my directions said about 13 more miles. He suggestedthat I cut off 5 miles of Trail Creek by taking a left on Divide Road in about 8 miles, then this road cut to 89.
I continued on Trail Creek, probably completely ruining my bike. The views were incredible, but it was starting to get hot. Plus, riding on gravel with my little tires was not easy.
I turned on Divide and rode it to 89. It was a long road. I wondered if it really cut off anything. When I finally hit 89, I was more north than I expected. I added like 10 miles to my ride.

Ahead of me, a fierce storm was a brewing. I continued to ride, there was no where to find shelter. Finally, I came upon an art gallery of sorts.

I pulled into the parking lot and asked the guy working there if he had water. I bought some water and asked him if I could stay under the porch until the storm passed. He agreed. His name was Tom. He got up and fed trail mix to a bunch of goats.They were adorable! He told me he had bottle fed them and they were his pets. We sat on the porch and talked. Saphire, one of the goats, sat on my lap.
Tom grew up in SD, did a lot of manual labor jobs and came to MT to live on the land, get away from people, and create his art. He actually does really cool art – www.tommosher.com. He works with steel and whatever the land provides.He often does stuff with dead animals - furs, skulls, etc but he doesn't kill them 'he has no desire'. Tom was interesting, and very nice to let me seek shelter under his porch. He also fancied himself a ladies man. He said he was the best looking guy in the valley (Paradise Valley, MT). When I finally decided it was safe to go off and ride, and Tom and I parted ways, he gave me his card.He also mentioned that maybe he would come to Chico for dinner.

I rode off and went the 7 miles or so to the Chico Resort and Day Spa. It was pretty gorgeous. I checked in, went to my room, and showered. I went down to the 'Saloon' for dinner - salad and nachos. The resort was packed. Lots of families, young people, etc. It would be awesome to come back here and really explore the spa or hang out with friends. Alone, when i could barely walk and I could barely keep my eyes open, it was less fun.

I decided I would take the next day off if it was bad weather. I prayed for bad weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment