Saturday, August 8, 2009

Biking, Day 22: August 7, 2009

Day 22: Tracy, MN to New Ulm, MN
Distance: 65 miles
Route: 14East
Lodging: Microtel Inn and Suites, $59, Free breakfast, actually a hotel, not a motel, nice for a change

I have met a lot of interesting people on this trip. One group of people who I've met are railroaders. These are typically guys in their 40s who work on the railroad in a bunch of different capacities - fixing track, being an engineer, conductor, etc. They travel away from their families and stay at the same types of random motels in the middle of nowhere. They are friendly and macho - there's something I appreciate about a man whose hands are rough from hard labor. There aren't many guys like that on the east coast.

I woke up this morning and went to get my coffee and met a few more railroaders. It was rainy out and I was trying to figure out how far I would go and trying to determine whether the weather would cooperate with me. These guys were from South Dakota, staying in Tracy, MN because of their work on the railroad. One was a conductor and I told him to always wave and toot his horn at bikers. They were impressed with my bike ride, though they conceded that they preferred to travel by pickup truck.

I'm going to be honest - today was hell. I wanted to make it to Mankato, MN - about 100 miles - but I failed miserably. There were storms, 20MPH headwind, driving rain. I could barely break 10MPH. I hit each city and thought about staying, then pushed a little farther. First in Lamberton, MN, then in Springfield, then in Sleepy Eye, MN. I wanted to stay in Sleepy Eye solely for the name, but was convinced by a guy to push 15 more miles to New Ulm.

I got to New Ulm and it was cute. There was also a Walgreens. I stopped. It has been like 10 days since I've seen a modern drug store. I got shampoo because, well, I've washed my hair with bar soap for 5 days. That's gross, I know. I also decided it might be time for some leg-shaving. Indeed, I'm moving into more populated areas and it's time to stop being a mountain woman.

I passed the motel I had booked but it looked like it had been the site of several violent and non-violent crimes, so I decided to splurge on the Microtel down the road. I checked in and was exhausted. I took a bath, and was too tired to go out to get dinner. I ate some of my snacks and went to bed at like 9PM. Bed at 9PM on a Friday. Awesome.

My body is breaking down a bit and I may need a day off. Tomorrow I will either stay, go to Mankato, 30 miles away, or continue to push and go to Rochester, 110 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment