Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Biking, Day 26: August 11, 2009

Day 26: Madison, WI to Hoffman Estates, IL
Distance: 110 miles
Route: 14E to Walworth, WI then to a whole bunch of back roads, then back on 14 to Route 61 to encountering the worst riding conditions I've encountered yet to dealing with a flat tire to more back roads to the Candlewood Suites
Lodging: with my friend, Shri, who is interning at Sears and who lives in a hotel (Candlewood Suites), $0, total bargain

I woke up around 6am and had my coffee. I planned my route, which took a while. It was a bit complicated getting out of Madison and I kept getting different routes when I used googlemaps, mapquest, etc. I try not to make the directions too complicated by staying on the same roads, but I also can't go on highways.

I started riding around 8am. I rode down to lake Mendota and rode the bike path past the park where I used to run. I literally used to run where I rode every morning. The little set of woods that I used to run in was, interestingly, also a cruising park. I found that out after I moved. I rode out of town and it was a gorgeous morning.

I finally got to County Road MM which led me to Route 14E. Traffic was limited, which was nice. I took a break at Evansville, WI. I talked to a few people at the gas station who were interested in my ride. The woman who ran the gas station was interested and wanted me to be safe.

I continued riding. I have to be honest, I was rocking out. I mean, we're talking 18-20MPH. I was making great time and feeling really good. I got to Walworth, WI and decided to take another break. I took a break and mapped out my route but decided to take the back roads instead of 14 for the rest of the ride.

I rode through the end of Wisconsin, where I saw some signs talking negatively about 'Obama-care' and then crossed the line into Illinois. I took another break with around 18 miles left. When I got back on the road, people started being jerks (and by jerks, I mean something less delicately worded). People would cruise past me, didn't swerve around me at all, and the traffic was pretty heavy. I hit Route 61 and it was a horrible road. Barely any berm, cars going 55 MPH on the single lane. I felt unsafe for one of the first times this trip. I hate to admit this on here because I know my mother will worry. But, in the Land of Lincoln, I cannot tell a lie (nor in VA).

As I was approaching the turn where I would get off the worst highway ever, I got a flat. I was about 5 miles from my destination. 105 miles down, and I got a flat.

I had to walk my bike almost a mile to find a place where I could change the tube. I pulled off and started doing my handiwork in someone's front yard. And yes, they came out of the driveway while I was fixing my tire. They didn't stop.

I took my bag off my bike, flipped it over and took off the back tire. I quickly found the puncture. It was a huge staple/nail/metal hook hooked into my tire. I had to get tools out to pull it out. It punctured my very high quality Bontrager tire.

I got out my spare tube and threaded it into the tire. This is not an easy process. It took me about 20 minutes to get the tire and tube back on the wheel. It was hot, I was sweating. I started filling the tube and heard a leak. My good spare tube had a hole in it. WTF.

I took the tube and tire back off the wheel and tried to figure out what to do. I texted my friend, Shri and told her I might be screwed. good thing I was close, theoretically, I could take a taxi or something. I decided to try to patch the tube. I got out my patch kit and started the process.

Right when I was about to put on the patch, I realized my glue had dried out. Can't patch a tube without glue. I fell into a pit of despair.

I went out to the road and tried to find a biker or motorcyclist. The man who stopped was on a motorcycle, and he was lovely. He helped me patch my tube with his patch kit and helped me thread the tire back on the wheel (although, two people, when one is even more confused than the other about fixing a bike tire, is not necessarily better than one).

We got the tire on and I thanked him profusely. He mumbled something about how I looked like I knew what I was doing but he needed to help a 'damsel in distress'. For the record, I have never once thought of myself as a damsel. Maybe a lass, never a damsel. I pumped up my tire, put all my gear back on, and hit the road for the final five miles.

I got to my friend's place, The Candlewood Suites, around 6pm. Of course Shri lives in a hotel. She is a bit like a Tenenbaum (her nickname: The Empress). She was already in her pajamas. God bless a 9-5. I got a quasi-hug because of my sweaty-ness.

I showered, did laundry, and gossiped with Shri. It was good to be with a friend. We ordered Indian and watched liberal political shows on MSNBC. It was lovely.

Tomorrow I meet up with my friend, Melissa. I'm excited because I get to meet some of her co-workers at Recycled Energy Development and then catch up with her. it will be a short day from one part of outside Chicago to the other - 30 miles. I don't think I will be venturing into Chicago this trip, especially after seeing how the folks in the suburbs drive. I can't even imagine the inner city drivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment